Monday, October 28, 2019

Under the Night Sky


We recently made a trip to Colorado and rented a camper for two weeks.  When we travel we always find ourselves in the lonely places away from crowds, TV, and internet.  We were able to dry camp most every night of our trip and stayed at high elevations of 10,000 and higher.  The clear night skies were filled with stars and I found myself out hiking around in the dark well after midnight with my camera.  I must admit that the yipping of the coyotes all around was a bit unnerving.  The thing that struck me the most from my night time hikes was how much beauty we have lost of our night skies with light pollution.  It is very difficult to find a place where the lights from a city hasn't spoiled viewing the starlit night.  Being in these remote locations puts me back in touch with reality and the realization of how we have built a wall of technology around us.  Technical Notes:  This image was made by stacking 12 sky exposures at 15 seconds with an ISO setting of 6400 with 12 dark (black) exposures.  The process of stacking exposures greatly reduces the noise in the image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment