Sunday, June 1, 2014

Lava Fields


We have recently moved into a new home after being on the road for 3 1/2 years in a motorhome.  The past few months have been full of busy days setting up a house again.  Our belongings sat in climate controlled storage for so long we had forgotten what we owned.  Most of the storage locker was filled with my large format photography prints and negatives.  I always had a worry in the back of my mind about the safety of storing my life's passion in a facility that I had no control over.  I wept the day I finally opened my boxes of fine prints after years of them sitting in the dark.  It was good to see my old friends again.  We became attached to the images we create for numerous reasons.  They connect us to who we are and the person we were.  They reflect the places we have traveled and the people we came in contact with.  They are our hopes, successes, and failures we all deal with in pursuing our dreams.  This is a scanned image of a print I made years ago in Death Valley.  I remember the day and experience as if it was yesterday.  As photographers we live within our images because of the time we have spent with them.  I now have this image hanging above me on the wall.  It is out in the light again, free, as it should be.  I am again surrounded by my friends that make up my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment