Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Anasazi Cliff Dwelling


In the Colorado Plateau region of the American southwest are numerous remains of an ancient pueblo people called the Anasazi. These sites are usually located high up on overhanging cliffs that can be difficult to climb, if not impossible. This particular dwelling was located near the four corners area in a remote canyon. I would camp out and hike to many of these locations back in the mid 80's and 90's. My camera of choice in those days was a 4x5 Linhof Master Technika. The use of a large format camera meant carrying a large number of film holders and a heavy backpack full of gear plus a substantial tripod. My days started before sunrise and went well past sunset in order to hike, explore, and photograph in these remote areas. My enthusiasm to be in such locations would have me scrambling up mountains and balancing myself on boulders to find the right location to make a photograph. I can remember when making this photograph, I was on a very narrow ledge with just enough room to setup my tripod. I wanted to be at a low angle looking up at the dwelling to show the majestic rock wall above the structure.  These locations have stood for a thousand years and if you are fortunate to be able to visit such sites it is important to respect them and not to disrupt them in any way. Only take pictures and leave everything else the way time has left it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Pueblo_Peoples


No comments:

Post a Comment