Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Broken Bridge


We live in a world of constant motion and noise. We are surrounded by movement and photography is a medium that can capture it. This image was taken on Big Pine Key Florida in Bahai Honda State Park. The bridge is part of the old Flagler railroad that has been closed for a number of years. In making this image I decided to make a long exposure of several minutes to show the motion of the clouds over top of the R.R. bridge.  In determining my composition I considered the direction of the cloud movement to best enhance my picture.  I could see the clouds were moving fast in the path of the bridge and knew this was the location I wanted to setup my equipment. The movement of the streaking clouds gives the image a sense of mystery as if a ghost train was traveling over the bridge.  The broken bridge can have a disturbing element to it. A bridge is suppose carry us safely over a divide. The missing span could invoke a feeling that we are either blocked from reconnecting to our past or the bridge to our future is broken.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/bahiahonda/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Railroad

No comments:

Post a Comment