Saturday, October 1, 2016

Indian Petroglyph


I just returned home from a couple of weeks of hiking and tent camping in Utah.  I have been there many times in the past and it is good to have the opportunity to revisit such a wonderful place.  In my hikes I am always on the look out for petroglyphs created by an ancient civilization.  It is easy to walk right by some of them when looking for other subject matter.  There are numerous symbols carved into the rock and many are hard to determine what the meaning could be.  I enjoy being able to rest and reflect at these sites, and imagine these people sitting in the same place years before.  How different their world was for ours.  The things that occupied their minds were basic survival needs of the day.  I try to compare what thoughts we process daily to what their must have been.  There is so much we take for granted in our lives.  We live our lives surrounded by our technology and almost assume that it is a natural part of the human existent.  How well would we exist it it was all taken away and we were forced to live as these people did for thousands of years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment