Sunday, October 9, 2016

The road less traveled


From an early age I have had a desire to travel and explore remote areas.  I am drawn by the thought of  "what is up around the next corner".   I always feel that if I turn around now I will miss something really great just around the corner.  When I come upon an intersection I almost always take the road less traveled,  believing there are things to be discovered that may have been passed by.  When I think about the early influences that shaped my desire to travel and explore,  my mind always goes back to a poem that stuck with me as a child.   In grade school I had a gifted teacher that would read books and poems to her class.  Her talented expressions with words took me into the story as if I was the one being talked about.  The one poem she read that has always been with me is one of Robert Frost's, "The Road Not Taken."  Many times have I looked down the road as far as I could see and then taken the one less traveled, and yet breathed a sigh of regret knowing I will never return to travel the other.  In life with the many choices it offers, it always has us choosing the road we will follow.
The above image of an old Post Office was made in remote area of central Utah while traveling on a secondary roadway.
                                                                                                  
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment