Sunday, April 1, 2018

Mission Church-San Francisco de Asis


I made this image in 1986 using my view camera and Tri-X film.  I recently made a scan of the negative and seeing the image brought back many memories of my days of using a large film camera.  I enjoyed the slow process of working with a view camera and time setting up and evaluating the light and composition. It took years of practice to master the process of working with large format equipment.  I remember the day I made this image. The sun had set and the last few minutes of daylight gave a soft glow to adobe structure of the church.  It was a calm and quiet atmosphere as I worked in the fading light and some of that comes through in the final image.  I had seen a photograph of this church made by Paul Strand that he made in 1931, and it had a lasting impression on me.  In my early years of photography I would spend countless hours at the library studying the works of the early masters in photography, their work had a major influence on my style of photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment