Monday, September 8, 2014

Brothers


My Grandparent immigrated to the U.S. from a small remote mountain town in southern Italy.  We have traveled back a number of times to spend time with relatives that still live there.  Each time we go we have always enjoyed the people and the old way of life that exist there.  We noticed with a recent trip in 2014 that the little mountain towns were losing their young people to the cities, and the old way of life and culture is fast fading away.  The old people that filled the streets and piazza have died out, and with them went the life and vibrancy that made up the character of the town.  I made this image of two bothers going to work in their orchards back in 2006.  I stopped and talked with them in my best broken Italian.  I noticed if I told people my last name I was instantly accepted as a member of the community, and it made photographing people an easy task.  Last month I walked the empty streets and felt sad with the loss of the people and the traditions that will be gone forever.  I feel fortunate that I was able to capture a little of this life and culture with my camera.

https://www.summerinitaly.com/guide/ottati

No comments:

Post a Comment